5 stalls burnt
At least five stalls were burnt after a fire broke out at the Dhaka International Trade Fair at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar in the capital on Tuesday, the first day of the month-long fair.
The fire originated at stall no 283 on the west side of the control room at the DITF at about 6:30pm, said Akhter Hossain, subinspector of Sher-e-Bangla Nagar police.
Panic spread among the visitors as the fire immediately spread to the adjacent stalls, witnesses said.
Seven fire fighting units, including one stationed on the fair premises, put out the fire within 20 minutes after it broke out, said the fire service headquarters.
Moon Socks Corner, Home Textile, a toy stall, Ifad Socks and Tunatuni Crockery were burnt, said police.
No casualty was reported while goods worth Tk 1 crore were damaged in the fire, fire fighters said, adding that the fire might have been caused by a short circuit.
The prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, inaugurated the fair Tuesday morning.
-With New Age input