Our Correspondent, Chapainawabganj
A woman died after drinking formalin by accident at a clinic in Chapainawabganj on Wednesday night.
The victim, Nadira Begum, 40, who was attending to her daughter at the post-operative room at Sheba Clinic, drank formalin mistaking it for water.
Hospital and family sources said Nadira came with her pregnant daughter Sumi to the clinic. After her caesarian operation, Sumi was taken to the post-operative room.
When Nadira was attending to her, she found a bottle of formalin near her daughter’s bed. Mistaking it for water, she drank it around 10:30pm. Soon she felt irritation and pain in the stomach.
As her condition deteriorated, Dr Moyej Uddin of the Sheba Clinic sent her to Adhunik Sadar Hospital where she died around 11:45pm.
When Dr Moyej Uddin came to the hospital to see Nadira, her relatives and local people became agitated and tried to attack on him.
On receiving information, the police came to the hospital and rescued the doctor and took him to the police station.
Mizanur Rahman, a nephew of the victim, said clinic staffs did not attend to Nadira despite repeated requests. Even no staffs took her to the hospital.
He also posed a question why formalin was kept in the post-operative room.
Amirul Islam, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station, said an unnatural death case has been filed.
Courtesy of The Daily Star