The Bangladesh Cricket Board on Sunday expressed its satisfaction over successfully hosting the Bangladesh Premier League’s third edition putting behind all doubts.
The BPL was held two years after it had been postponed following match-fixing, payment disputes and other anomalies that tainted the image of country’s cricket.The BCB replaced the old franchises with some new faces and looked determined to avoid the same scandals that had left it highly embarrassed.
BCB president Nazmul Hasan heaved a sigh of relief as the tournament ended on last week without any serious controversies with newcomers Comilla Victorians lifting the title.
‘I think we were quite successful as we could end the tournament without raising any major issues,’ Nazmul told reporters at a post-BPL press conference at Mirpur on Sunday.
‘In the first two editions we faced many problems. Payment was one of the major issues that we faced,’ he said. ‘We wanted to sustain a discipline in it and that’s why we were cautious.
‘We are delighted as the franchises kept their words regarding payments that helped raise the portfolio of the tournament.’
Nazmul informed that Comilla Victorians and Chittagong Vikings completed 100 per cent of players’ payment while Rangpur Riders cleared the payment of their overseas cricketers totally and paid the local cricketers 75 percent of their wages.
Runners-up Barisal Bulls, Dhaka Dynamites and Sylhet Superstars cleared 75 percent payment of local and foreign cricketers.
Nazmul claimed all franchises submitted relevant documents to them regarding the payment of foreign players and BCB vice-president Mahbub Anam added that if necessary they will provide them to National Board of Revenue for tax scrutiny.
Nazmul said that they have not received any allegations over match-fixing that warrant an investigation. Some media reports raised doubts over some matches but Nazmul said they have no authenticity
‘There is no concrete proof about those allegations,’ he said. ‘They were reported on the basis of assumptions.
‘We don’t see any reason for investigating those allegations.’
BCB president however said they are looking into the matter regarding Barisal Bulls’ West Indian opener Chris Gayle’s early departure that raised some doubts.
Gayle played just three matches and pulled himself out from crucial qualifier-2, which came as surprise to many. BCB president did not elaborate if they have launched a formal investigation about the matter but insisted that it has drawn their attention.
Nazmul was elated with the participation of high profile cricketers like Gayle in the tournament despite security fear that once made event uncertain.
‘Militancy was one issue that left us concerned,’ he said. ‘We could not ignore this issue as there were some acts of sabotages. But we are happy that the tournament ended without any fuss.
‘There were 65 overseas cricketers and six coaches. They rather praised us heavily,’ said the BCB president, adding that the tournament inflated BCB’s coffer.
‘After deducting all expenses we earned Tk 25 crore from this edition. This is a big success,’ said Nazmul.
-With New Age input