Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Five mobile operators apply for 3G auction

Five existing mobile phone companies of the country on Monday submitted applications for participating in the auction for three licences for 3G services, scheduled for September 8, after the government had met almost all of their demands bowing down to pressure.
No foreign company, however, submitted the application for 3G auction for one licence reserved for foreign operators because of alleged syndication by the existing operators to do away with the competition factor.
Grameenphone, Banglalink, Robi, Airtel and Citycell submitted the 3G auction applications in the final hour on Monday, the last date for submission, tagging a few
more conditions including settlement of the SIM replacement tax issue before 26 August which is the last date for submitting bid earnest money of $20 million.
The chief executive officers of the mobile phone companies met the BTRC chairman Sunil Kanti Bose at his office for submitting the applications, said operator sources.
Officials of operators, however, claimed that their participation in the auction was still not confirmed as some of their demands were not yet met.
Banglalink CEO, Ziad Shatara, in a statement said, ‘We are very thankful to all the government officials for their continuous and concerted efforts during the entire process on resolving all the issues and hope that all issues will be resolved ahead of 26th August and pave the way for Banglalink to submit the earnest money and confirm participation in the auction.’
The National Board of Revenue claimed SIM replacement tax worth Tk 3,100 crore from the mobile operators as the operators were dodging the tax unlawfully.
In early 2012, the NBR claimed a total of Tk 1,580 crore from GP, Tk 774 crore from Banglalink, Tk 664 crore from Robi and Tk 82 crore from Airtel saying that the operators did not pay the amounts as SIM replacement tax.
The issue was pending before the High Court which was recently sent back to the tax office to solve it through alternative dispute resolution.
Going softly, the NBR recently decided to conduct a joint audit of the mobile phone companies to verify the relevant documents although its own investigation report mentioned the wrongdoings by the mobile companies.
The mobile phone companies on several occasions warned the government that they would not participate in the 3G auction if their demands are not met.
The National Board of Revenue on Sunday slashed the VAT on 3G license for the second time to 5 per cent from 7.5 per cent following government order because it was one of the major preconditions by the operators for submitting the application.
The revenue board on August 6 exempted the mobile phone operators from paying 15 per cent VAT on their revenue from 3G services to be shared with the BTRC.
The NBR, meanwhile, sent another proposal on Sunday to the finance ministry for exempting the mobile phone operators from giving 15 per cent value-added tax on their revenue sharing with the BTRC from the existing 2G services.
The government, which ends its tenure in October, initially aimed at getting at least $800 million from awarding 3G licences to three local mobile operators and an international company.
BTRC officials alleged the existing mobile phone companies made government bound to change the 3G guideline to discourage the participation of the international operators.
They said that the government, which was desperate to hold the bidding before the end of its tenure, was meeting the demands of operators one after another causing state revenue losses of millions of dollars.
The BTRC will award three licences to three out of five mobile companies operating in the country and one to any foreign firm.
Earlier on July 27, lone state-owned mobile operator Teletalk submitted its application for 3G spectrum. According to the guideline Teletalk will got 3G licence by default as state owned operator.
Although Teletalk does not have the 3G licence yet, it has been running 3G services on a trial basis since October 14, 2012.
A total of 40 MHz of spectrum will be auctioned for eight blocks where a single bidder can bid for maximum two blocks.
The minimum allocation for a spectrum block is 5 MHz with base price of $20 million for each MHz.

-With New Age input

Related News

Tarique Rahman opting to retain Dhaka-17, giving up Bogura-6

News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP Chairman Tarique Rahman has formally given up his Bogura-6 parliamentary seat after securing victory in two constituencies in the 13th national parliamentary election, Election Commission officials confirmed. Tarique Rahman on Monday submitted a declaration to the Election Commission stating his intention to represent the Dhaka-17 constituency, after being elected simultaneously ... Read more

BNP and allies win 212 seats, Jamaat-led bloc bags 77

Standalone count shows BNP at 209 seats, Jamaat at 68 News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP and its allies have bagged 212 seats while Jamaat and allies secured 77 seats in the 13th parliamentary elections held yesterday. According to the unofficial results declared by the Election Commission (EC) in 297 seats, BNP alone won 209 seats. ... Read more

Turnout in Bangladesh national election and referendum 59.44%

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The voter turnout in the 13th Bangladesh national election and the referendum was 59.44 per cent, according to the Election Commission. The 13th JS elections and the referendum were held on Thursday. After completing the announcement of results this morning, EC Director of Public Relations Ruhul Amin Mollik told journalists around ... Read more

Tarique Rahman wins Dhaka-17, Bogura-6

News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP chairman secures 72,699 and 216,284 votes respectively BNP Chairman Tarique Rahman has been unofficially declared elected from Dhaka-17 and Bogura-6 constituencies after securing decisive victory over his nearest rival. As per the provisional figures, Tarique Rahman, contesting with the sheaf of paddy symbol, secured 72,699 votes in Dhaka-17. His closest ... Read more

Bangladesh goes into votes in landmark national election, referendum

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh is voting today in its 13th Jatiya Sangsad elections, held simultaneously with a nationwide referendum on whether voters support the proposed state reforms known as the ‘July National Charter’. Polling is taking place in 299 out of 300 constituencies, as voting in Sherpur-3 has been postponed following the death of ... Read more

BNP postpones Tarique Rahman’s Feb 8 rally

Announces citywide campaign in Dhaka News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh Nationalist Party has cancelled its final election rally scheduled to be held in Dhaka on February 8. Instead of holding the rally, BNP chairperson Tarique Rahman will deliver election speeches at different locations across Dhaka North and South on February 8 and 9, BNP senior ... Read more

Final BNP election rally set for Dhaka on February 8

News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP chairman will attend the Nayapaltan rally as chief guest, party leaders say BNP will hold its final election rally on Sunday (8 February) in the capital, ahead of the national election. The rally will take place at the party’s central office in the capital’s Nayapaltan area at 2pm, with BNP ... Read more

Humaira Sultana becomes first female Biman MD

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The government on Tuesday cancelled the appointment of Safiqur Rahman as managing director and chief executive officer of Biman Bangladesh Airlines and gave the additional secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation and Tourism, Humaira Sultana, additional charge as MD and CEO of the national flag carrier. As a result, Humaira ... Read more

RAB to be renamed as ‘Special Intervention Force’

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The interim government has decided to rechristen the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) as the “Special Intervention Force (SIF)”. Home Affairs Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury made this announcement on Tuesday (3 February) following a meeting of the law-and-order core committee at the Bangladesh Secretariat. In response to the question ... Read more

Tarique’s electoral address to be broadcast on BTV Feb 9

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairman Tarique Rahman is set to deliver an electoral address to the nation on the Bangladesh Television on February 9, ahead of the upcoming referendum and national elections scheduled for February 12. The Election Commission (EC) has instructed BTV to make the necessary arrangements. The information was disclosed ... Read more

E-ticketing launch for Dhaka bus services next week

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Passengers using buses in Dhaka and nearby areas must now buy e-tickets before getting on, as the long-awaited digital ticketing system is launching next week. This initiative aims to organize the chaotic transport system, lessen traffic jams, reduce fare disputes, and enhance passenger safety in both city and suburban routes. The ... Read more

Government employees may see pay doubling

The National Pay Commission report is expected by January 21 News Desk : dhakamirror.com The National Pay Commission 2025 has finalised its report, recommending over 100 per cent hike in pays for the government employees who are serving at lower levels in the 20-grade salary structure. Officials said that pay hikes for officers serving between ... Read more

36 more Bangladeshis sent back as US illegal immigration crackdown escalates

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The United States deported another 36 Bangladeshi nationals as part of its ongoing efforts against illegal immigration. A special military flight from the US arrived at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport at noon on Tuesday (20 January), as stated in a press release from BRAC’s Migration Programme. Among the 36 deportees, 21 ... Read more

SSC, equivalent exams start April 21

News Desk : dhakamirror.com This year, the Secondary School Certificate and similar exams will start on April 21 and end on June 14. The Dhaka Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education released the exam schedule on its website on Thursday. The theoretical exams are set for April 21 to May 20, while practical exams will ... Read more

Bangladesh suspends on-arrival visas until February 15

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh has halted the on-arrival visa service for all eligible nations starting today until February 15 to avoid any incidents during the upcoming elections. Foreign Adviser Touhid Hossain told reporters at the foreign ministry yesterday, “We’ve been directed to take this action to prevent any incidents during the elections. Unexpected individuals ... Read more

US to suspend issuing immigrant visas for 75 nations, including Bangladesh

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The United States said on Wednesday it was halting the processing of immigrant visas from 75 countries, which included Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran and Somalia. It was President Donald Trump’s latest move against foreigners seeking to come to the United States, reports Fox News. The US has halted all visa ... Read more

440 Bangladeshi prisoners receive Royal Pardon in UAE

News Desk : dhakamirror.com On the 54th UAE National Day (Eid Al Etihad) in 2025, the rulers of the UAE granted royal pardons to 440 Bangladeshi prisoners. During the Union Day celebrations, UAE leaders pardoned thousands of inmates nationwide, marking one of the largest clemency efforts in recent years, according to a press release from ... Read more

Tarique Rahman now BNP chairman

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Acting Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairman Tarique Rahman on Friday formally assumed the office of the chairman of the party. The decision was made in an emergency meeting of the BNP standing committee at the party chairperson’s Gulshan office. In line with the BNP constitution, the meeting was held to address the ... Read more

Bangladesh now on US visa bond list, requiring travelers to deposit up to $15,000

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The United States has recently added 25 more countries, including Bangladesh, to a list of nations whose citizens may need to post bonds of up to $15,000 to enter the country. This information comes from a report by Reuters, which referenced the State Department’s website on Tuesday. Under the updated program, ... Read more

9,111 people killed in road incidents in Bangladesh during 2025: report

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh witnessed higher road crashes and casualties last year compared to previous years, exposing poor road safety, according to a report published yesterday by the Road Safety Foundation (RSF). The country saw more road accidents and casualties in the immediate past year compared with 2024, a Passenger Welfare Association of Bangladesh ... Read more