Friday, February 20, 2026

Army deployed to contain Ctg port unrest

Troops were deployed at the Chittagong Port on Wednesday afternoon to contain labour unrest that has crippled activities at the sea port for six days, officials said.
‘The army has been deployed to ensure security of the protected areas and restore operational activities that had been disrupted because of the labour unrest,’ said the Chittagong Port Authority’s security director Kamrul Islam.
Troops were called out following a government decision as the volatile situation hit hard the main sea port, he said.
Officials said the army arrived at the port about 4:00pm and took position at important points of the protected areas of port and jetties.
The Chittagong Metropolitan Police also slapped a ban on meetings and rallies, processions, carrying of arms or lethal weapons in and around the Chittagong port areas to quell labour unrest, officials said.
The CMP’s assistant commissioner Syed Mesbauddin said, ‘Restrictions have been imposed to stop dock workers from creating any chaos in and around the port.’ The ban will continue to be in force until further order.
Immediately after restrictions had been imposed, dock workers went out on demonstrations near the port jetty forcing the police to charge at them with truncheons and fire teargas shells to disperse the agitators, witnesses said.
At least 20 people were injured in the police action,
they said. The police picked up 27 people during the demonstrations, which created tension in the port areas, sources said.
The authorities took a hard line after the shipping minister, Shajahan Khan, who flew to Chittagong on Tuesday evening and stayed at the port to resolve the crisis, failed to convince the dock workers, opposed to the newly appointed private berth operators, to begin container handling at the jetties.
The shipping minister held a series of meetings with union leaders, stakeholders and port officials to break the deadlock in container handling, port sources said.
The deadlock hit Chittagong port on Friday as the pro-government dock workers rallying to push for their demands resisted the private berth operators, who went to the container jetties to take up their job.
The demands included cancellation of appointment of private berth operators engaged through a ‘fishy deal with tailored’ terms and conditions of the tender, reinstatement of dock workers retrenched during the immediate-past caretaker government and other welfare benefits for workers.
The dock workers chased private berth operators and assaulted port officials inside the container jetties, the sources said.
The situation grew violent on Tuesday evening when the dock workers in their hundreds forced their way through the gate of jetty No 4 and stormed the sheds to hold demonstrations, union leaders said.
The shipping minister on Wednesday evening told reporters that the army had been deployed and a ban on gathering had been imposed on the port to foil the conspiracy being hatched by vested quarters to halt port activities.
He said the authorities would not shoulder the responsibility of the dock workers who would not join work in two days.
He urged the berth operators to do container handling by accommodating the capable of the dock workers who were retrenched earlier.
The CPA chairman, RU Ahmed, who also attended the briefing, told the reporters that container handling had resumed in the evening.
Insiders said container handling was yet to resume on a full scale.

 

Courtesy of NewAge

Related News

Ramadan begins in Bangladesh tomorrow as moon sighted

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims engage in self-purification through fasting and abstinence, begins in the country tomorrow as the new crescent moon was sighted this evening. The announcement was made today (18 February) evening at a meeting of the National Moon Sighting Committee in the conference room of the ... Read more

Tarique Rahman opting to retain Dhaka-17, giving up Bogura-6

News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP Chairman Tarique Rahman has formally given up his Bogura-6 parliamentary seat after securing victory in two constituencies in the 13th national parliamentary election, Election Commission officials confirmed. Tarique Rahman on Monday submitted a declaration to the Election Commission stating his intention to represent the Dhaka-17 constituency, after being elected simultaneously ... Read more

BNP and allies win 212 seats, Jamaat-led bloc bags 77

Standalone count shows BNP at 209 seats, Jamaat at 68 News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP and its allies have bagged 212 seats while Jamaat and allies secured 77 seats in the 13th parliamentary elections held yesterday. According to the unofficial results declared by the Election Commission (EC) in 297 seats, BNP alone won 209 seats. ... Read more

Turnout in Bangladesh national election and referendum 59.44%

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The voter turnout in the 13th Bangladesh national election and the referendum was 59.44 per cent, according to the Election Commission. The 13th JS elections and the referendum were held on Thursday. After completing the announcement of results this morning, EC Director of Public Relations Ruhul Amin Mollik told journalists around ... Read more

Tarique Rahman wins Dhaka-17, Bogura-6

News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP chairman secures 72,699 and 216,284 votes respectively BNP Chairman Tarique Rahman has been unofficially declared elected from Dhaka-17 and Bogura-6 constituencies after securing decisive victory over his nearest rival. As per the provisional figures, Tarique Rahman, contesting with the sheaf of paddy symbol, secured 72,699 votes in Dhaka-17. His closest ... Read more

Bangladesh goes into votes in landmark national election, referendum

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh is voting today in its 13th Jatiya Sangsad elections, held simultaneously with a nationwide referendum on whether voters support the proposed state reforms known as the ‘July National Charter’. Polling is taking place in 299 out of 300 constituencies, as voting in Sherpur-3 has been postponed following the death of ... Read more

BNP postpones Tarique Rahman’s Feb 8 rally

Announces citywide campaign in Dhaka News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh Nationalist Party has cancelled its final election rally scheduled to be held in Dhaka on February 8. Instead of holding the rally, BNP chairperson Tarique Rahman will deliver election speeches at different locations across Dhaka North and South on February 8 and 9, BNP senior ... Read more

Final BNP election rally set for Dhaka on February 8

News Desk : dhakamirror.com BNP chairman will attend the Nayapaltan rally as chief guest, party leaders say BNP will hold its final election rally on Sunday (8 February) in the capital, ahead of the national election. The rally will take place at the party’s central office in the capital’s Nayapaltan area at 2pm, with BNP ... Read more

Humaira Sultana becomes first female Biman MD

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The government on Tuesday cancelled the appointment of Safiqur Rahman as managing director and chief executive officer of Biman Bangladesh Airlines and gave the additional secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation and Tourism, Humaira Sultana, additional charge as MD and CEO of the national flag carrier. As a result, Humaira ... Read more

RAB to be renamed as ‘Special Intervention Force’

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The interim government has decided to rechristen the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) as the “Special Intervention Force (SIF)”. Home Affairs Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury made this announcement on Tuesday (3 February) following a meeting of the law-and-order core committee at the Bangladesh Secretariat. In response to the question ... Read more

Tarique’s electoral address to be broadcast on BTV Feb 9

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairman Tarique Rahman is set to deliver an electoral address to the nation on the Bangladesh Television on February 9, ahead of the upcoming referendum and national elections scheduled for February 12. The Election Commission (EC) has instructed BTV to make the necessary arrangements. The information was disclosed ... Read more

E-ticketing launch for Dhaka bus services next week

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Passengers using buses in Dhaka and nearby areas must now buy e-tickets before getting on, as the long-awaited digital ticketing system is launching next week. This initiative aims to organize the chaotic transport system, lessen traffic jams, reduce fare disputes, and enhance passenger safety in both city and suburban routes. The ... Read more

Government employees may see pay doubling

The National Pay Commission report is expected by January 21 News Desk : dhakamirror.com The National Pay Commission 2025 has finalised its report, recommending over 100 per cent hike in pays for the government employees who are serving at lower levels in the 20-grade salary structure. Officials said that pay hikes for officers serving between ... Read more

36 more Bangladeshis sent back as US illegal immigration crackdown escalates

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The United States deported another 36 Bangladeshi nationals as part of its ongoing efforts against illegal immigration. A special military flight from the US arrived at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport at noon on Tuesday (20 January), as stated in a press release from BRAC’s Migration Programme. Among the 36 deportees, 21 ... Read more

SSC, equivalent exams start April 21

News Desk : dhakamirror.com This year, the Secondary School Certificate and similar exams will start on April 21 and end on June 14. The Dhaka Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education released the exam schedule on its website on Thursday. The theoretical exams are set for April 21 to May 20, while practical exams will ... Read more

Bangladesh suspends on-arrival visas until February 15

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Bangladesh has halted the on-arrival visa service for all eligible nations starting today until February 15 to avoid any incidents during the upcoming elections. Foreign Adviser Touhid Hossain told reporters at the foreign ministry yesterday, “We’ve been directed to take this action to prevent any incidents during the elections. Unexpected individuals ... Read more

US to suspend issuing immigrant visas for 75 nations, including Bangladesh

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The United States said on Wednesday it was halting the processing of immigrant visas from 75 countries, which included Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran and Somalia. It was President Donald Trump’s latest move against foreigners seeking to come to the United States, reports Fox News. The US has halted all visa ... Read more

440 Bangladeshi prisoners receive Royal Pardon in UAE

News Desk : dhakamirror.com On the 54th UAE National Day (Eid Al Etihad) in 2025, the rulers of the UAE granted royal pardons to 440 Bangladeshi prisoners. During the Union Day celebrations, UAE leaders pardoned thousands of inmates nationwide, marking one of the largest clemency efforts in recent years, according to a press release from ... Read more

Tarique Rahman now BNP chairman

News Desk : dhakamirror.com Acting Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairman Tarique Rahman on Friday formally assumed the office of the chairman of the party. The decision was made in an emergency meeting of the BNP standing committee at the party chairperson’s Gulshan office. In line with the BNP constitution, the meeting was held to address the ... Read more

Bangladesh now on US visa bond list, requiring travelers to deposit up to $15,000

News Desk : dhakamirror.com The United States has recently added 25 more countries, including Bangladesh, to a list of nations whose citizens may need to post bonds of up to $15,000 to enter the country. This information comes from a report by Reuters, which referenced the State Department’s website on Tuesday. Under the updated program, ... Read more